Tuesday, January 17, 2012

On learning & Unlearning

Today I am thinking about my second formal training session and how fantastic it is to be taught by someone who really understands the game and actually knows how to teach. I feel like I learned more in my last session than in all my other sessions with other trainers combined.

There is a big difference between being a good player and a good teacher. I think you can be excellent at the former and so-so or even awful at the latter. Additionally, it is incredible to me how you much you learn from others that is wrong or half learned or misapplied-- and how much you "intuit" that is wrong and still, despite these things, you can manage to be a 'good' player. It makes good sense that truly studying the game produces consistently excellent players and one can move from being a good pocketer but inconsistent winner to a great player and consistent winner.

The last session was an eye opener. I learned that I was incorrectly working the Wagon Wheel System (WWS) and that I didn't understand 1) how to use the tangent system 2) how to really measure the tangent.  I have only worked the WWS a few times and each time, did so with english -and sometimes a lot of it- to hit the intended diamond. Imagine my surprise when I was able to navigate the cue ball perfectly with a punchier stroke, even speed and knowledge of where to actually hit the center vertical line on the cue ball. Aaaaaah--- wow. Talk about making something so simple so hard. Someday, I'll look back at my naivete and laugh. Right? (Ok, I already did).

I learned how to navigate the diamonds-- technically-- having never known how to before-- just using my memory of previous shot outcomes. This did not net consistent outcomes which is obviously frustrating. Who doesn't want to put the cue ball exactly where they need it for the next shot or for a great safe?

I learned that it is difficult for me to successfully apply left english due to my severe right eye dominance. I always wondered why I seemed to miss these shots and therefore usually avoid them. There are sighting techniques to overcome this. 

I am approaching training sessions totally arms-open, with no ego and as a chance to really learn. The more I learn, the more I am amazed at how, despite real technical knowledge, myself and so many others can win so often. Just imagine where one can take the game when they have the necessary skills in their arsenal- moving from a good eye and raw talent to an educated player and competitor. 2012 is about being a focused student of the game.

No comments: